This building in Vergas was once used by the H. Thiessen Pickle Company, which had headquarters in Omaha. The company, founded by Herman Thiessen in 1898 in the Nebraska city, operated the Vergas station from 1921-1958. Farmers in the area raised cucumbers, then they were taken to a half-dozen stations in the region where they were packed in brine. Later, the product was loaded onto rail cars and shipped to Omaha. The local facility had a 5,000 bushel capacity. Many years, 400-600 barrels of dill pickles were transported. The location is now owned by Paul's Insulation.
History has played a huge role in the life of Tom Thiessen, both in his work and regarding family events that are tied to the Vergas area.